View Profile SplatterDash

1 Movie Review

I honestly really liked the different animations used in here. There's a good mix of all sorts of animation in here, and I think this definitely lives up to the hype it was given. I wanted to mention this stuff earlier, but I wanted to wait until the menu came out to both a) mention the stuff about it here and b) share it with friends both on and outside of Newgrounds. The menu is really a great touch, and definitely gives the animation as a whole a breath of good touch.

That being said, I do have something I found with the animation with the addition of the menu: somehow, the last few seconds of each clip got cut out, and I don't know if it's because of a glitch or if the menu is forcing each clip sound to be cut short. Also, kind of as an idea, rather instead of picking up and dragging the little icon to which animation we want, I kinda feel that it would be better to remove the marker, and that once we click the first time on an animator on the menu, it selects them, with another click bringing up the ready to play screen and the right click deselecting the animator. It's just a thought, but something I feel could help improve the menu. (EDIT: didn't realize it until later, but a loading wheel would also be really useful, that way we know when the video has to load rather instead of just staring at it frozen, almost as if it just paused itself.)

Overall, props to all the people involved with this, and extra props to Ivan for designing such a great menu. This is the first collab I've seen on the site, and I'm happy to see all sorts of people in it, including a few music people like me. Great job to everyone involved, and what a great way to end off 2018 :D

1 Game Review

So at first I thought that this was gonna be something where you would have two different kinds of adventures, the levels with the white cube and the ones with the black one. I never expected anything like this. It's so simplistic, yet it's so great and different from much that's out there. I like all the little things that the player can do, and how each one of those things makes a difference in the level. I also liked the idea of how, when you know one half of the level, there's an entire other half that could be different or similar. It's honestly a great idea, and the level is so great that I've been angry at times with myself but kept coming back for more. It's really a great level, and I enjoy it very much.

disclaimer: not sponsored

1f1n1ty responds:

lol like someone's gonna walk over and be like "HURR I DON'T TRUST SPLATTER 1F1 PROBABLY GAVE HIM MONEY TO SAY THINGS"

glad you liked it!

44 Audio Reviews

Official NGADM Review for Round 3.

That intro is honestly soooo good! It gets the listener in the mood, and then BAM! HERE TIMMY CHECK OUT THIS ROCK BALLAD! It's just so good in terms of its composition, keeping itself fresh and even working well with a change of tone in the middle. The sound design here is really good, and the production value is also a knock out of the park.
My critiques? I think that while the sound design is really good, there can definitely be some improvements made to it, mainly coming from the lullaby portion. I thought the music box and flute were a little too bright, but that might be just what I've gotten used to in terms of how music boxes and flutes sound lol. To me, it just distracted me only a little bit, and they are smaller problems that really don't overshadow the entire piece. One other thing that I will mention, and this isn't really affecting your score, is that I felt the delay rate could be slower - rather than being closer to a quarter note value, it might be worth experimenting bringing them to the value of a dotted eighth instead. Again, though, that's just a personal preference that isn't going to affect your score.
Overall, this is suuper good! The two different tones achieved in one piece with similar melodies is hard to pull off well, but I think you did it wonderfully! Great job!

Mackievellian responds:

Amazing, thank you. I actually had it set to a dotted value before but changed it due to it sounding like a three over four polyrhythm, lol. Thank you very much for this feedback, and the kind words, man.

Official NGADM Review for Round 3

The title really fits this. I actually ended up finding this really warm and fuzzy, and I find it kinda interesting that the style you went for kinda reminded me of Lockyn, especially at 0:31. Knowing that your previous pieces have been piano soloed, I think it makes sense that your piece here is focusing on that, since it is honestly a strong spot of yours (and it definitely shows here with the rhythms and melodic lines). That key change also helped out with spicing things up for the piece, and while they usually aren't approached well, I thought this one was definitely a decent approach. The production is really good, the sounds are super good, and I definitely ended up replaying this once or twice because I actually wanted to.
My critiques here? I think that while the structure does generally keep itself fresh throughout (especially with the key change), there still is some room to play around with the main parts of this - 0:31 and 1:52. While some instruments come in to make this sound less repetitive, the main parts can still use some playing around to make it so much better. Other than that, my only other comment is that I kinda wish your bass was brought out a tad bit more in the overall mix.
Overall, I really enjoyed this! I think that working outside your comfort zone was a good idea, and it really worked here. Great job!

Official NGADM Review for Round 3

This honestly kinda reminds me of Waterflame mixed with some meganeko - it's so fun and bouncy, while still keeping a modern retro feel throughout. The composition is really good at keeping the song generally fresh throughout, especially in that half time at 1:27. It's also got some really good production, especially with panning (which I notice is hardly used). The quality of sound here is also super good, mixing in the retro with modern.
It's actually kinda hard to critique this, but I think if I had to nitpick, I think that the general structure of the piece could use a bit more of a flexible feel. I felt that some sections lingered for a bit, and there wasn't too many changes from the main feel, but honestly the changes done here were pretty good enough.
Overall, I love this! I think this is definitely a really good modern-retro piece that is definitely able to take the lead. Great job!

PredatorMusic responds:

Thank youuuu! I love this constructive criticism, I'll work on my song arrangements and structures more :D

oh hi. I am a musician who also does some Geometry Dash creating (emphasis on "some"). I want to make some music that people enjoy. 90% of the stuff on here was stuff that was first on CHIPS, however I will try and post some non-CHIPS stuff here as well.

Joined on 5/6/18